Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Addict

I was required to do a "media log" in my theories of mass communication course. For this log I had to choose a four hour time frame during the day to log all of my media usage. Yesterday from 230pm-630pm I logged about how while doing things around the house I downloaded music, listened to my iPod, watched Netflix, used my iPad, and checked social media. When I finished logging I thought to myself, "wow, I should have picked a different time frame because I haven't used media nearly as much as I normally do..." but then it hit me, I had been texting during the entire four hour span. Our phones have become such an important object and such a natural thing to always carry that we don't realize how much we use it. Its become a cultural norm to constantly text so it doesn't feel like I am using an unusual amount of media. Even when I am not texting anyone, I still repeatedly check my phone like I should have text messages when in reality, it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment